Small Florida Town "gets it" (guns)

The town council of Belville, FL in Marion County has passed a resolution, heartily upheld by the citizenry.

They have resolved that every household should possess, learn to use, and keep available for use a firearm for personal protection.

There have been numerous home invasions in and around this little community, and they feel that armed, informed, capable citizens are the tools necessary to stop them.

Hooray for them!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Now that is the kind of instrusive despotism we can all encourage.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

mattathayde had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- Lloyd E. Sp> The town council of Belville, FL in Marion County has passed a

i agree that everyone should learn how to safely learn to use a firearm but i think both extremes are just as bad, no armed citizens gives criminals power, how ever everyone being armed can pose just as many issues. there was a novel written a while back (cant remember the name and i never got to read it but the ending is simple), basically the society had everyone armed, some one tried to commit a crime and a citizen shot them, another citizen came onto the scene and saw a man holding a gun and some one down, so they shot, rinse, repeat and the body count kept going up.

i think there is a good middle ground but i sure dont want every one of my neighbors with a gun even if they are "trained" cause i dont think most of them can use it properly.

that being said i still think we need 22 ranges in schools like my parents and grandparents had

-matt

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 169678 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mattathayde

That is a novel, i.e. fiction, it simply doesn't happen in real life.

Just like the doom and gloom wild west prophesies that the rabid anti gun loons make every time new carry laws come into play never happen. Civilians have been carrying concealed handguns for many decades and it has never presented any problems.

Reply to
Pete C.

so, what will happen to a household which does not have the money to purchase a gun, or for religious or other reasons does not wish to own one? This is as clear an overstepping of bounds as I am aware of.

Reply to
Bill Noble

That is Belleview

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This is a clear lack of reading comprehension, not overstepping of bounds. Read again, the key word is "should" as opposed to "shall" or "must".

Reply to
Pete C.

:

Matt

There is a lot of things that sound rational and look good on paper that don't work out that way. Case in point Kennesaw Ga passed a similar resolution in 1982, crime rates dropped dramatically and stayed low.

The statistics consistently show more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens results in less crime. Novels are something made up. Read all the novels for enjoyment all you want, but check the facts before making decisions.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl

Police answering a home intruder emergency call arrives with 9mm, .38 (.357),.41, or .45 sidearm and 12 ga. shotgun. Using lights and siren for alarm response time 2 - 15 minutes.

Home intruder at my house meets me with .45 and/or 12 ga. shotgun. Response time 0 sec.

Being ex-military and a retired Deputy Sheriff, I am trained well beyond the ordinary person; however when I arrived at one attempted home invasion robbery, the fact the lone eldery woman had blown out the top of the door jamb with a 12 ga. shotgun spoke well for the deterent factor to the would-be robbers. There was evidence at the scene that in the process of running away, possibly one of the two had an unxpected bowel movement but they weren't around to verifiy that.

I applaud the town council on their move. Bans only hurt the law abiding. William Ralph Inge put it this way, "It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion."

To live life as a peaceful sheep is not a bad thing; but when the wolf barges in, it's time to be a sheepdog.

Chaindrive

Reply to
Chaindrive

The most important part of learning to use a firearm, is not how to aim and fire, but when you have a legal right to use it.

States with conceal carry laws do a good job of assuring permits are only issued to knowledgeable persons with a proven history of reasonable judgment. That being the case, the scenario suggested by the novel simply does not happen.

Reply to
Tim

Bill, This is a very difficult decision for any citizen to make. It is clear that the wait for response from the police can be more time than you have, but on the other hand, the use of a handgun can and has cost so much in defending your actions in court, bankruptsy often results. So, perhaps the answer I learned in Vietnam applies. If you need a gun and don't have one, that can cost you your life. If you have a gun and don't need it, the cost is nothing. Your call. Steve

a gun, or for religious or other reasons does not

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It's a resolution, not a law.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I think "often" is not even called for. When one makes a questionable shoot, you'd best shut your mouth and get a lawyer right now. But in states that have Castle Doctrine or something similar, a reasonable person is in pretty good shape, legally, after a righteous shooting.

So,

Well said

If healthcare is a right, and the government is is going to provide it, then they ought to provide a gun also, since self-defense is the most basic of rights.

or for religious or other reasons does not wish to own

Don't you read the news? This government has thrown off the shackles that bound them previously. Such things are the U.S. Constitution are no longer inflexible restraints, just guidelines, and outdated ones at that.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Funny, the way I read it, it suggests that every household *should*, posses, not MUST possess. How is that overstepping bounds? I wasn't aware it was beyond reason for anyone to offer what is, especially in this case, good advice.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I am a little lost, then, as to what exactly is the legal requirement of this law.

Ignoramus1057

A resolution is not a law. It's more like a suggestion or call to citizens to "let's do this". It can legally be ignored.

Reply to
Don Foreman

so, this is just a bunch of guys getting together and saying that everyone in the city ought to have some guns? Is that what the citizens elected their city council to do - have bull sessions and make meaningless suggestions?

Reply to
Bill Noble

Do you regard suggestions lacking force of law as meaningless? Would you prefer your city council to have more absolute power to dictate your behavior?

It may seem incredibly alien to y'all in Kalifornia, but out here in flyoverland the notion of a bunch of guys (and gals) getting together and suggesting whatever to their fellow citizens is quite acceptable. Matter of fact, it's part of what we elected them to do. We even understand the difference between a resolution and legislation.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mr. Noble is a Very liberal Democrat. Unless it has huge fines, years of jail time and whatnot involved..it means nothing to any of them.

And even then..it generally means nothing to them, unless it was proposed by another Leftwing Extremist Fringe Kook. Like gun control laws and the like.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OK, I see now.

People who keep guns accessible at home, make us all less likely to suffer a home invasion.

Ignoramus3972