Renco Encoders web site ?

Hello,

Anybody know what is going on at Renco, the encoder outfit? Their web site has been "down for maintenance" all day, at least. You get one bare page with some encoder pictures, but you can't get to any of the catalog info, part number trees, etc. One version of their web address goes straight to Heidenhain in Germany, so I guess they have been bought out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It is down here also. Suggestion, use site:renco.com with google and look at cached copies while available.

Wes

Wes

Just curious, I'm sure you use more encoders than me. I always order from USdigital. So far, I've had no problems at all with their products. Their kits are priced lower than anyone else I know of.

is Renco better?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes. There have been a number of problems with US Digital encoders, especially if you read the Gecko list. There is a thread on this almost every month where somebody has built a big machine and it is going crazy, and they eventually have to either add capacitors next to the encoder, install a line driver/receiver module or replace with a different vendor.

Renco has a wider range of available sizes, shaft size, resolution, output type including differential line driver built into the encoder, etc. Their prices are not bad at all on their latest "modular" encoder, meaning the ones without their own bearings.

Renco also has a couple lines of 6-channel encoders that produce not only the normal ABZ signals but also commutation signals for brushless motors. These used to cost MANY hundreds of $, but Renco now has some around $60, which is a great deal to revive an expensive brushless motor.

It now appears that Renco is a division of Heidenhain, and the Heidenhain US site is down with the same mysterious "under maintenance" message. Even funnier is if you go to their old web store page

you now get an Apache default web server page. I wonder if these guys are running this on their HOME computers? I can't believe a big, multinational corporation would PLAN to just go offline for days at a time!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Bob had written this in response to

:

Hi everyone. I am really sorry about our website, but our server is in Germany and it got hacked. It is taking more effort to make the server secure than expected but we are trying to get things back up. If you need support, we are always available by phone. (805)968-1525 (I know, sort of archaic!) Ed Burk (805)562-1186 can support you with technical details or you can e-mail me directly.

Thaks for the positive comments about our products!

Best Regards,

Bob Setbacken RENCO Encoders, > Karl Townsend wrote:

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 178624 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Bob